Howdy, hello, and how are ya?
The weekend is finally here, and I’m feeling pretty pumped…
Sorry, I couldn’t help it! I think it’s safe to say that I just penned the #1 contender for corniest post introduction ever.
Since it’s Friday–and only because it’s Friday—please forgive me? Please?
What I’m trying to say is that right this second—as I type this post—all I can think about is this pumpkin pie cake.
Holy cow it’s good. Like I-think-I-need-to-make-another-one -right-NOW good. Protein mug cakes were all the rage when I started blogging back in 2010, but honestly, I never quite understood the hype. They were healthy, sure, but a bit too rubbery for my liking.
This mug cake is so completely different! What I love most about it—besides the fact that it tastes exactly like pumpkin pie —is that it contains nothing but simple honest ingredients. Pumpkin puree. Eggs. Cinnamon. Greek yogurt.
It’s a mini-sized snack moonlighting as a dessert that’s a little bit indulgent but a whole lot delicious. If you’re looking for a healthy treat to try, I highly suggest you make it.
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg (or 2 egg whites)
- 2 T. oat flour (or 3 T. oats)
- ¼ t. pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ t. baking powder
- 2 packets stevia (or sweetener of choice)
- Combine all ingredients and blend in a blender or Magic Bullet. You can also mix by hand, if you’re using oat flour.
- Pour batter into a greased mug or small baking dish; Microwave for 2 minutes.
- Create a “frosting” but combining Greek yogurt with sweetener, and cinnamon. (Not optional! 😉 ) Sprinkle with walnuts (optional, but highly recommended).
- Note: I also added cinnamon cream cheese to my frosting (see below for details), which made it even more decadent and delicious!
Moving on (even though I don’t want to…must. make. more. cake!)…
Let’s kickstart the weekend with a little countdown of sorts, shall we? Five…four…three…two…one…Go!
FIVE Packaged Foods I Ate This Week
One of the perks about being in Boise the past few months has been the fact that I have unlimited access to this Denver-based dip devil. And by devil, I mean that this stuff has me under its spell. Like, I can’t stop eating it. If you live in the West, search for it at Whole Foods!
2. Brown Rice Cakes.
Diet food? Heck-to-the-no. I think rice cakes are completely misunderstood and underrated. They’re a perfect canvas for just about anything. Take peanut butter and banana, for example…
Starry eyes. But this week, my favorite use of the good ol’ rice cake was pizza.
Fun childhood throwback! My mom used to make these for me when I was little, and this week I returned the favor and made them for her (what goes around comes around, eh?).
Three ingredients: rice cake, tomato sauce, cheese (I use an Italian blend which contains Parmesan, mozzarella, and smoked provolone).
Aka CRACK in a bag. If real cheese isn’t your thing (and even if it is), this vegan crunch munch is totally worth trying. I’ve gone through five bags this week. You think I’m kidding, but I assure you I’m not.
Need I say more? Sure, you could add cinnamon and sugar to regular cream cheese, but there’s something super wonderful about being able to throw a pre-portioned wedge into my bag for on-the-go snacking. It’s also AWESOME in that pumpkin cake frosting.
I buy Alexia products regularly, but I hadn’t tried the spicy fries until Memorial Day. Holy hot heaven! So good!
FOUR Random Facts About Me
1. I am not at all shy. In fact, I love talking to strangers and make new friends when I’m out and about on an almost-daily basis. But when it comes to public speaking? Fuggetabouditt. Make me stand up in front of five people and I will shake.
2. When I was little, I loved having my feet tickled. Kinky! Who tells people that? I outgrew it in middle school. Or did I? Dun dun duuuuun. 😉
3. I have really narrow size 9.5 flat feet. This makes it extremely difficult to find shoes that don’t fall off. It also means I can’t wear strapless flats or pumps. Yep, you heard me. I don’t own pumps. Strapped heels all the way, baby!
4. I know the secret to living a happy, fulfilling life.
Chocolate. Every day.
THREE New Pinterest Finds
1. What Should I Read Next? This is SUCH a cool site! Type in a book you love, and a list of 20 similar titles are listed for you.
2. 50 Cheap Date Ideas via Marie Claire Magazine. Love this one: “Play house”: Dress up in your most serious grownup outfit and visit some open for-sale houses. Spend the day arguing in front of the realtor about where you would put the love seat, discussing the difference between eggshell and ecru paint, and giggling over strangers’ hideous decorating choices.
Haha! Now I just need Prince Charming to do it with.
The 5-4-3-2-1 Workout. I wasn’t in the mood to strength-train at the gym the other day, so I did this 15-minute workout at home. I was sweating at the end—after just 15 minutes! It’s a great alternative on days when you’re pressed for time, feeling gym-phobic, or simply want to mix up the routine.
TWO Things I Bought Yesterday.
1. Digestase-SP. Definitely not glamourous, but these digestive enzymes have been a lifesaver. I take one before every meal, and my digestion is now a zillion times better. If you have tummy issues, I HIGHLY recommend them!
2. Lululemon Forme Jacket in Power Purple. I’ve had my eye on this for weeks, and finally caved. Darn you, Lulu!
ONE Summer Trip I’m Looking Forward To
1. Charleston! I’m heading to the sweet South, ya’all! I’ve wanted to visit Charleston for years, and finally the stars aligned Wednesday. Ticket booked!
If you’ve ever visited Charleston or live there, I’d love to hear your recommendations about where to eat and what to do!
I’m supposed to stop here, but I’m simply not ready to say goodbye for the weekend! I could chat your ear off for hours…Who wants to come over for a pizza party? Seriously though, how fun would that be?! 😉
Alright alright, I know. You have places to go and things to do, so I’ll leave you with some inspiration.
I firmly believe this.
I hope you have a fabulous weekend, friends!
I want to know…
What packaged food products are loving right now? Which do you buy on a regular basis?
Do you consider yourself shy or outgoing? Do you like public speaking?
What’s the last thing you bought?
Have you been to Charleston? Tips? Recommendations? Fill me in!