The weekend is so close that I can practically…taste it!
And right now it’s tasting rather rich and chocolaty…
Welp. Sorry, I couldn’t help it! I think it’s safe to say that I just penned the #1 contender for corniest post introduction ever.
Since it’s Friday–and only because it’s Friday—please forgive me? Please?
What I was trying to say, is that I made Delighted Momma’s 3-Minute Chocolate Mug Cake yesterday, and holy cow was it good. Like knock-your-socks off amazing. Protein mug cakes were all the rage when I started blogging back in 2010, but honestly, I never quite understood the hype. They were healthy, sure, but a bit too rubbery for my liking.
This mug cake is so completely different! What I love most about it—besides the taste of course—is that it contains nothing but simple honest ingredients. Almond flour. Cocoa powder. Eggs. Honey. It’s a mini-sized dessert that’s a little bit indulgent but a whole lot of delicious. If you’re looking for a treat to try, I highly suggest you make it.
In other news, it should be a fun weekend around here! I’m meeting a friend for dinner tonight, hitting the farmer’s market and nail salon with my mom on Saturday, and watching the Mad Men premiere Sunday night. Can’t wait!
But let’s back up a bit. Today I’m recapping the week in true alliteration-loving blogger fashion: 5 lists. 5 things. On Friday.
5 Things I’m Loving
1. Peanut Butter and Banana Wafflewiches. After going on hiatus for a few months (for absolutely no reason), this made a return on Monday.
Welcome back, lover.
2. This article: When Eating Healthy Becomes Your God. A spiritual take on idolizing food. Good read.
3. Macadamia Nuts. I discovered this container in my mom’s kitchen cupboard, and have found myself reaching for it…well, whenever I walk past said kitchen cupboard. Mac nuts are a little too pricey for regular purchase, so having them at my disposal is quite a treat. They’re little bites of tropical heaven that remind me of Hawaii!
4. Power Up Tank in Burning Yellow by Lululemon. Love the sunny color and singular look at me I have a sexy back strap.
5. Coral Pants/Lace Top. I adore everything about this spring look!
Monday: Back and 10 minutes of HIIT plyometrics.
Tuesday: 5 mile run (outside!)
Wednesday: Chest and triceps.
Thursday: Shoulders and abs.
Friday: Biceps and 15 minutes of HIIT sprints.
5 New Goals for April
1. Cut back on carbonated beverages. Confession: I drink at least one–often two each day. Over the past year I’ve drastically reduced my consumption of Diet Coke, however even all-natural varieties of soda, like Zevia, still make me bloated. Bubbles = air. Air ends up in my stomach. Air in my stomach makes me feel like I’m carrying around a balloon in my belly. Oy. Considering my love for all things fizzy, this is going to be very challenging!
2. Take yoga or pilates once/week. This is something I’ve been talking about for over a year, yet I haven’t gone even once. I picked up a class schedule at the YMCA yesterday, which is the gym I use when I’m in Boise, and was excited to see they offer 20+ sessions each week. Since classes are free with my month-long membership, I have no excuse to not get my om on. I’m hoping the stretching will alleviate some of the chronic soreness in my muscles, and relax my constantly buzzing mind. 😉
3. Get 7+ hours of sleep every night. When I’m in DC, it’s not uncommon for me to run on five hours of snooze time. Basically, I’m always sleep deprived! The life pace is much slower in Boise, so it seems like a good time to begin implementing new sleeping habits. Since I wake up around 7:00, my goal is to be in bed by midnight. Accomplishing this will depend almost entirely on the success of my next goal…
4. No technology in bed! Does that sound dirty? I love perusing Pinterest and Instagram before I go to sleep each night, but when a bright screen is coupled with pictures of drool-worthy food and a never-ending news stream, nodding off becomes pretty challenging. Social media ends when I climb under the covers. Period.
5. Re-focus on muscle development and weight gain. Tummy troubles over the past month have stalled my progress a bit, which is frustrating, but I’m determined to get back on track. Even though doing makeup work while sorting through food allergies/intolerances is a bit challenging, I’ve identified four changes I can make to help me get started:
1) Reduce cardio to 1-2 times/week. I’ve been exercising intuitively over the past few weeks, which means I’ve cut back on weight lifting and increased cardio. However running 8 miles just because I feel like it isn’t going to help me. I’m hoping alternatives like yoga, pilates, and walking will satisfy my cardio cravings without zapping precious energy.
2) Increase calorie-dense and nutrient-dense foods that nourish my body (hello, coconut butter and avocado!).
3) Eat “semi-intuitively.” I’ll go into more detail next week, but over the past few months, I’ve stopped planning meals in favor of exclusively listening to my body and cravings. This is my preferred way to eat, but I acknowledge that I need to be slightly more intentional over the next month or two.
4). Relax and enjoy the ride. This one isn’t as cut-and-dry as the others, but I firmly believe that when we nourish all components of health—physical, emotional and spiritual—our bodies naturally find their happy place. It’s easy to become preoccupied with finding answers in the “shoulds,” when in fact, the most concrete answers are often found in just being.
5 Facts Worth Sharing From Food Network Magazine
I was going to title this list “5 Things I Read,” however then I realized all of the articles came from April’s issue of Food Network Magaizne—which I thumbed through on the airplane Tuesday. I love this magazine. It’s not only filled with great recipes, but fun quizzes and factoids, too. Here’s what caught my attention:
1. Topping foods with fried eggs is super trendy right now. Food Network tried hundreds of combinations, and came up with their top 50. Must try combo: French toast and fried egg. Questionable combo: Oatmeal and fried egg. I like egg white in oats, but I’m not sure how I feel about about runny yolk oozing all over my oats.
Yay or nay?
2. Edible baby names are hot. This really isn’t new news, but in case you didn’t know, Drew Barrymore recently named her daughter Maple and Jason Bateman named his daughter Olive. Other trending names: Clementine, Sage, and Apple.
3. Chefs are beginning to ban Instagram (and all photo taking) in restaurants. Gasp! This Huffington Post article goes into more detail about food bloggers’ worst nightmare—the possible end of food porn!
4. Birthday Cake is Everywhere. Apparently the trendiest ice cream flavor right now is birthday cake. I plan on popping 20 Lactaid pills and then diving into a carton of Breyer’s Birthday Blast.
5. I have a crazy craving for cinnamon rolls. I’m blaming this photo in the magazine.
Yum. Does anyone know of a good GF cinnamon roll recipe?
5 Things I’m Looking Forward To
I’ve already mentioned a few of these, but I think they’re exciting enough to repeat…
1. Meeting my high school gal pal, Meg, for dinner tonight! We’re going to P.F. Chang’s—one of my favorite chain restaurants. I’ve been dreaming of the seared ahi and chicken lettuce wraps all week!
2. The reunification of 98 Degrees. Heh. I was watching the Today Show on Thursday morning, and learned that Nick Lachey and Co. is debuting a new album this spring. Hey, in my defense, they’re not technically a “boy band” anymore—these guys are in their 30’s, which totally qualifies them as a “man band.” Right? Right.
3. Blend Retreat! It’s only a month away! The last time I was in Park City, I was four years old. I can’t wait to hang with some of my favorite “blends,” and frolic in the fresh mountain air.
Are you coming? It’s not too late to sign up!
4. Flip flops and pedicures. The warm(isn) 70-degree weather in Boise means I was able to pull out sandals yesterday! Since my feet are in desperate need of some TLC, my mom and I are planning on getting pedicures this weekend. I looooove having my feet rubbed.
5. The premiere of Mad Men on Sunday night!! Don Draper is back, and, from the looks of the sneak peak photos, as dapper as ever. 😉
Aaaand…that’s a wrap!
Wherever you are and whatever you do, I hope you have a fabulous weekend!
I want to know…
What’s your favorite nut?
Peanuts! Although they’re technically not a nut. Second favorite: a tie between cashews and macadamia nuts.
Do you drink carbonated beverages? Did you in the past? If so, what replacements have you found most satisfying?
Do you take photos of food when you’re at restaurants? How do you feel about restaurants banning phone photography?
Yay or nay: Technology in bed? Fried eggs on oats? Fruit-inspired baby names?