This recipe was born after I caught myself drooling over a picture of cannelloni in a popular cooking magazine. Oh, how I wanted that cannelloni for dinner! Pasta sheets, however, were nowhere in sight.
The next best thing? Eggplant. This pudgy purple vegetable is quite versatile, and it cooks up in a minute.
1 medium eggplant
1/2 cup part skim or low fat ricotta cheese
2 Laughing Cow Garlic and Herb cheese wedges
chopped spinach (about 1/2 cup)
1-2 T. chopped kalamata olives (optional)
favorite pasta sauce (I used Bertoli Organic Olive Oil, Basil and Garlic)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut the eggplant lengthwise into 1/4 thick slices. Lightly rub with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Broil eggplant slices for 10-15 minutes, or until they are slightly browned on both sides.
4. Pour 1/2 cup –1 cup sauce (depending on how much you want) in an 8 x 8 baking dish. Set aside.
5. Place a small mound of ricotta mixture in the center of each eggplant slice.
7. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
Serves 2 (but can easily be doubled, tripled, quadrupled!)